Thursday, March 28, 2013

Horses

Our most recent unit was on horses.  My girls enjoyed learning so many things they did not know about horses, as well as pretending to be horses...complete with four-legged racing and shiny tinsel manes and tails.  This was a fun unit for them.


The front of our horse folder



The horse picture is removable and used elsewhere in the folder.  That is Glory B, the horse that Tater Tot and Boo Bear are learning natural horsemanship lessons with.



We learned about breeds and types of horses and included these on the first inner layer of the folder





The next layer in the folder



We learned to identify horse leg and facial markings






We continue learning basic math concepts and I created a number line using the concept of a horse race, utilizing lines to count by 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s, and 100s.  The horse can be moved from the front cover and placed on the popsicle stick, which can be moved back and forth along the number lines.





We discussed the Kentucky Derby and it's history and fashion, and added a compilation of horse facts.




We discussed primary horse uses in time




And used a matching game to identify horse colors




We labeled the parts of a horse and some of the common accessories used when riding a horse



We had a little aside about optical illusions and I created this "spinner" to demonstrate one.  We also looked up numerous illusions on the computer.  Tater Tot thought they were very neat.




The girls pretended they were horses on various occasions, and even fashioned a tail and mane out of some scrap tinsel.  (I am still finding stray strands of golden tinsel all over my house.)



Tater Tot even created a "Silly Horse" book putting a horse in some unusual circumstances.












The girls made crafts and drew lots of horse pictures and pretended to be princesses in castles.  We even discussed a little about Paul Revere and what his contribution was by riding his horse through the towns with a warning of danger.




Some of the books we used for our information:





Some websites we used for this unit:


4 comments:

  1. You are amazing - wow I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but admittedly, the legwork on much of these things has already been done by others in some of the links I included. The matching game and the printouts I made into lift-a-flap cards, for instance, were already marked with the desired information. I am not above using other's ideas flat-out or tweaking them for our purposes. I never would have even thought to do these cute folders if not for the internet. lol So, I guess that means I am semi-creative. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love this and hate to say this but Paul revere didn't make the famous ride. He did play a part in the whole thing but William dawes made the actual ride. Paul was made famous because his name rhymed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Thanks. I vaguely remember hearing something about that before, but I focused less on the event and person and more on the link of how a horse was used in that situation anyway. I doubt she would even recall any name since it was just something I sort of threw in there as a quick aside.

      Delete